Translate

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Groove



The reference for this painting was a picture of a single vintage rose.As I began to draw it impulse took over and I decided to just splash on paint. Pink opera, perm rose, DS lemon yellow, Antwerp blue. When everything dried the painting developed.As I look at it now I realize the orange pastel,added at the end is too opaque and and that I need to adjust it. Initially, I was in the negative painting flow, always a challenge, since you have to see what isn't there, when I left the painting and came back to it ,I had a different perspective? The moral of the painting is stick with it or lose the groove.

8 comments:

Meera Rao said...

I like the diagonal design and the combination of watercolors and pastel! Nice

PeterParis said...

A wonderful composition! I wouldn't touch it! :-)

PeterParis said...

Wonderful composition! I wouldn't touch it! :-)

Annaquarel.les said...

I wouldn't touch it either, Cathy. I like as it is. A vibrant colourful painting! :)

laura said...

The colors are just wonderful, Cathy--the variety of red-pinks and especially of greens (!). I think it's great!!
(BTW the blue I think you like in my SF painting is manganese blue--a favorite of mine.)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Love what you have created here Cathy. One time wondered if the diagonal split between busy and calm was too direct, but it grew on me.

As for the previous post cropping dilema, wonder if you could cut off some of the top to create a square. Currently looks as if you have stretched it a little vertically.

RoseAnn Hayes said...

Beautiful work! So alive and exciting! Love it!

Ann Christine Dennison said...

I have a weakness for colour and I am enjoying your artwork :-) Love this!